UX Designer - 100% Remote
You’re an experienced UX Designer with energy in spades. You know the various steps in the UX design process. You'll have a data-driven design approach - fluent in creating. Able to work closely with product teams and senior managers alike, you are used to being a vital cog in the design team.
Ruthlessly self-organised, driven and a doer, you are known as being reliable. People enjoy working with you, as you get things done, and elevate the offering through a combination of skill, energy and will. You’re an excellent communicator with many tools in your toolkit to help you convey complex ideas to a range of audiences.
In short, you are good at what you do and love doing it. If you want to be a part of something at the beginning of an exciting growth phase, and want to work collaboratively with product and engineering teams to lead a better experience all round, read on!
About the role
We have a large, engaged audience of car lovers with some exciting new products that need fresh UX thinking to help optimise and scale. The role will also focus on our more established product - with a view to an overhaul of the experience as we undertake a new strategy.
This role will be instrumental in understanding user needs, then translating them into a much-improved customer experience.
Working together to create a product that solves the users’ problems, which are delightfully simple to use, which ultimately drive business goals and product growth. Car & Classic have incredibly ambitious growth plans over the next 18 months and this role will be pivotal in making this happen.
About us www.carandclassic.com
Car & Classic is one of the largest automotive marketplaces in the world. We’re lucky to have thousands of user generated listings submitted monthly with content gems from James Bond’s Aston DB5 to Elvis Presley’s Cadillac. The site is old, launched in 2005 but under new, VC-backed ownership since 2018 and on an exciting triple-digit growth journey to bring classic vehicle transactions online.
Our culture is incredibly important to us. We’re lucky enough to have built the team from scratch with a focus on enjoying the day-to-day, diversity, inclusion and high performance. Despite being an entirely distributed business we build strong connections as colleagues and have created a fun and high performing culture.
Whilst the team is only 85 people now we expect to double over the next 12-months. We’re looking for a UX Designer that has good, relevant experience and wants to make their mark in a rapid growth business where they can make a real difference, whilst enjoying the environment and culture.
Finally you don’t have to love cars to work here (and lots of our team don’t) but for those who do this is an incredible opportunity to combine your passion and professional lives – we look forward to hearing from you.
Role and responsibilities
- Designing and delivering wireframes, user stories, user journeys, and mockups optimised for a wide range of devices and interfaces.
- Using research and discovery techniques to identify user problems and devise elegant solutions
- Design thinking to begin with a mobile first, content first attitude. Take a user-centered design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs.
- Understand and apply the trade-offs between usability, creativity and performance.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
- Collaboration to find solutions which balance customer need, viability, and technical difficulty without compromising on the customer experience.
- Support senior creative team members in the ideation, creation and delivery of digital content and community engagement assets.
- Ask smart questions, take risks and champion new ideas.
What do you get (remuneration & benefits)?
- Salary £38,000-£45,000 (dependent on experience) 💰
- Stock options 📈
- All the equipment you need to get the job done 💻
- Flexible working - work where and when you want in order to get the job done 🌍
- Access to free counselling, therapy and mental health support via Spill 🤗
- Professional development allowance 🚄
- Company paid team retreats 🧘♂️
- Income Protection 🛡
- Life Cover 👩👧👦
- Smart Health 🩺
- Generous parental leave 👶
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays) & any period of closure over Christmas also paid 🏝
- Ability to make your mark on a fast-growing start-up 🚀
The skills, attributes and experience you must have:
- Proven commercial knowledge - ideally in eCommerce UX best practices across multiple platforms and digital channels, knowing what works in practice and what doesn’t.
- Excellent eye for design, with evidence of strong fundamentals in layout, typography and information architecture
- Experience of working collaboratively with other Designers, Researchers, Product Owners/Managers and Software Engineers
- Experience of designing for customers with a range of technical needs - from cross-platform and different devices
- Understanding of Agile delivery and experience of Lean UX practices.
- Familiar with software such as Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, Photoshop, Illustrator, Invision, Proto.io, Principle etc to create outstanding designs and prototypes.
- You will bring energy and positivity to the role, looking for opportunities to learn and grow. While being open to receiving objective criticism and improving upon it.
- You'll have a data-driven design approach - fluent in creating and using metrics in your decision making and success tracking.
- Be a great team player, experienced in working with agile teams. Ability to collaborate closely with the product owner, engineering team, content and our UX designer.
- Obsession with users - who they are and how they use the product - to create the best experience for them
- Ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to define and implement the experience
- Ruthlessly self-organised, driven and a doer, you are known as being reliable.
- You’re an excellent communicator with many tools in your toolkit to help you convey complex ideas to a range of audiences
Skills, attributes and experience it would be nice for you to have:
- Experience designing for two-sided marketplaces and/or expanding a website globally
- Customer research and/or prototype testing
- A knowledge or passion for cars (it's really ok if that's not your thing though)
- Experience in Service Design, knowing offline and operational processes matter and impact users just as much as front-end interfaces.
Our application process
We want to make sure we hire the best available talent! We had a fantastic 2021 with all of our hires hitting the ground running. We are excited to do the same in 2022.
Every role is crucial to us at this stage of our growth. We are improving and evolving our recruitment and application process on a monthly basis. We are trying to remove any bias from our recruitment process, this is an on-going issue in the recruitment function for companies of all sizes.
To help achieve this we have refined our application form that you will find when you click 'Apply for this job'. The answers to the questions are the difference between your application being progressed or not so please do give them your time and effort when answering. The first thing our Talent Partner will review is these questions (we may not even need to review your CV depending on your answers).
Good luck with your application and thank you in advance for your interest in joining us at Car & Classic.